"The great objective of all our work is to build character and increase faith in the lives of those whom we serve."
Elder Spencer W. Kimball, 1948

Monday, September 3, 2012

Personal Organization and Study

I just finished reading The Organized Home Schooler, and I have many things to tidy up, inclusing my own personal organization.  I learned a lot from studying some Montessori books on "classroom" environment, but every homeschool book I read seems to add something to help me on my journey, so I am very glad I read this one as well.  I took an evening to get organized and here are the results:
A few years ago, I made up a binder under the influence of Marla Cilley's Fly Lady book.  I loved the concept, but just had too much extra paperwork that I didn't know where to store or how it fit into the system.  I knew I had to make her system my own, so I did.  I have an expanding file holder that I use to file away the "overflow" from the binder, which is for more everyday stuff.  I also picked up a Teacher's Lesson Plan Book from the Target $1 section, but I can already tell I won't be using it.  It just isn't set up the right way for my purposes, unfortunately, so I'm looking into the Day-Timer Family Plus planner and another suggested by a friend.  In the past I've just used our family calendar, but I'd like something more for homeschool and to organize the household better.
 
 
Below is something I've wanted to start for a long time, and so glad I finally did!  I read a lot of books.  I really can't stand it when I can't remember the things I've read, or when I want to go back to a book to find that one page that had that really cool quote and I just can't find it.  So I started a notebook.  What a novel idea!  I just jot down page numbers and quotes and words that I want to look up the definition for.  I've also copied pages and pasted them in when I don't want to write down huge quotes, and I like to add my own ideas and notes as well.  I also make a box for each book so I can scribble down the names of any book titles or articles they reference that I want to look into.  Ahhh!  It feels so good to have it written so I can go back to it!  This is just for me and I love it.  This is part of the "You, Not Them" aspect of Thomas Jefferson Education, I'd say.


No comments: