"The great objective of all our work is to build character and increase faith in the lives of those whom we serve."
Elder Spencer W. Kimball, 1948
Elder Spencer W. Kimball, 1948
Saturday, August 4, 2012
Book Comparison
I recently read two books: Weapons of Mass Instruction, by John Taylor Gatto, and Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. I didn't purposely read these two books back-to-back, but it's ironic how well they fit that way, like two people having a dialogue back and forth. Gatto's book tries to reveal the faults of public schools, and in Outliers, Gladwell writes about his study of what it takes to succeed.
I really enjoyed Gatto's writing (I love reading books that force me to look up definitions of words every few pages!), but I often found myself confused at his wild accusations and couldn't always follow him either from my own lack of knowledge of the subject or because it didn't seem like he was backing up all of his claims very well. What really struck a chord with me, though, were his many anecdotes from the lives of successful people who made it to the top because of anything but public school. He cited many stories of people who dropped out of school or played hooky to learn form the school of life rather than sit at a desk and do busywork. Gladwell's book also contains many stories of individuals who were successful for many different reasons. I had several insights while reading and comparing these two books:
Gatto is disgusted by all the gifted/talented/special education programs that he seems to believe are like a band-aid on the gaping wound of bad education, as though these programs are a cover-up or a way to quiet parents who are smart enough to realize that public school doesn't work well for all children. He also said that in all his years of teaching public school, he rarely met a gifted or special needs student. I think he was trying to say that all children are just so different, that they ALL have special needs. In which case, I agree, but I would say that all children have spcial needs or learning differences, rather than say that none do. It put my worries to rest about Trevor, since I wasn't comfortable with the "gifted" label from the start.
Confirming Gatto's conclusion is a whole chapter of Gladwell's book. Gladwell calls it the 10,000-hour rule. He refers to a study that found that professional musicians had no less than 10,000 hours of practice under their belts. Good players had 8,000. Other researchers used these results to look at other professions and found the same thing was true for all professions! If a person wants to be truly excellent at any one thing, they must meet the 10,000-hour rule. I loved this chapter. Practice makes perfect! Hard work pays off. Focus is important. Diligence. Discipline.
After reading these two books, I understand more about academics vs. experience. I like to ask other homeschool moms the reasons they decided to go that route. Everyone seems to have a different answer. A favorite homeschool friend of mine explained to me once that she felt like her public school experience was just a game. You jump through the hoops, maybe learning something along the way, maybe not, and you get a diploma at the end. While I certainly see a place for quiet, formal study (and yes, maybe even a worksheet or two), having real-life experience is like the other side of the balance. Gladwell talked about successful people having parents who kept them actively engaged, always doing some productive thing or other (not the same as busywork!).
Lest you think I'm, obsessed with the object of pushing my kids to the top, I have to explain. I don't really care if they make it to the top, wherever that may be. My motives are none other than selfish, but different than you may think. When my kids leave home as adults, I want to be able to wash my hands of any responsibility. I want to be able to say I gave them my very best effort under the direction of my Heavenly Father, and gave them every opportunity to become what He wants them to become. Not all mothers can stay at home with their kids. Not all moms have the advantages that I have in being born in this country to the parents I was given and the faith I was born to. I don't want to squander these blessings and the opportunity to pass it on to my kids. It sounds awfully perfectionistic, I know. I am often telling myself to loosen up. But I would be so ungrateful if I didn't feel this way.
I love this quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley that helps me stay grounded and realistic, “Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to just be people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey…delays…sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling burst of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”
I have more to say about experience, but it's getting late! I'll have to finish another time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
With having to send my t to school I feel that I don't have the time to teach him all that i need to. in first grade they are gone all day every day. I only will get a few hours with him each day. That does not feel like enough time to teach him to be the person God wants him to be. I can't wait until we adopt him and he gets to stay home with me.
You guys are amazing foster parents, regardless of which schooling you can do. It will all work out! I wish we lived closer so we could collaborate!
Post a Comment