"The great objective of all our work is to build character and increase faith in the lives of those whom we serve."
Elder Spencer W. Kimball, 1948

Monday, September 9, 2013

Gameplan 2013

We just got back from a long trip to Idaho last week, so our school week starts tomorrow!  Even with a later start than most schools, I still feel like it snuck up on me.  I am SO glad I prepared everything before we left on vacation, so all I had to do today was review my plans and get pumped up!  That's right, I am so excited to start!  I have new goals, a more experienced outlook, and well, it's past midnight, so I'm feeling the rush of what I call "stolen me time" (you know, when you stay up so late getting that golden "me" time, which just ends up being time stolen from your kids/family because you're too tired to be of any use to them later...but it's not my fault! I tried the sleeping thing already!)

Back to the main point...

I have what I believe is a great plan for our family.  Here's our VERY basic plan for this year (below).  It also includes field trips/classes (of course). Also not listed is some very cool plans for a timeline, so we can add events as we learn about them across the subjects.  We'll be doing the same with our world map.  I was inspired at our most recent homeschool conference to draw up a "learning tree" that will show all of our interests and how they're connected, so hopefully we'll have pictures of that to share someday. 

And of course chores are still huge on my list.  We just started a new laundry system that is working really well.  Trevor has been doing his own laundry all summer long now.  Can you imagine how amazed I was when he (without reminders) took his own laundry basket to the basement and started his load, finished it, and folded and put his clothes away!  It really didn't take that much work to teach him, either.  Just a really good system and a very awesome boy.

I found a karate class for Trevor that we can afford, but guess what?  After all this time trying to find one for him and the joy of finally discovering it, he is not interested!  The ingratitude.  :)  He says he wants to try art classes instead.  So we're going to see what we can do.  Other than that and the spring play, I don't think we'll be trying to do anything longer term than 2-3 months' worth of commitment.

For scripture study, we're using this site: http://www.bookofmormonstudyguide.com/  
It was recommended by a dear friend for preparing a child for baptism.  Trevor will be 8 in 1 1/2 years! 

 
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Scriptures
BoM study Guide/ scripture picture
same
same
same
same
same
same
Reading
Conrad's reading lesson/Trevor free reading
Conrad/Trevor FIAR
Conrad's reading lesson/Trevor free reading
Conrad/Trevor FIAR
Conrad's reading lesson/Trevor free reading OR FIAR
 
 
Music
Music time w/ instruments, learn
one composer per month from books
 
Music time w/ instruments, Trevor guitar
Music time w/ instruments, learn
one composer per month from books
 
Music time w/ instruments, Trevor guitar
Music time w/ instruments
 
 
 
Art/Science
Art: various projects
 
Science:
Lesson from books
Art: various projects
Science:
project
 Interest Lessons (below)
 
 
History/ Phonics/ Handwriting
History:
Read one section from Story of The World, write one sentence in journal/ draw pic
Phonics/ Handwriting:
T-Explode the Code/ Handwriting w/o Tears
C-Alphabet/ word games
History:
Read one section from Story of The World, write one sentence in journal/ draw pic
Phonics/ Handwriting:
T-Explode the Code/ Handwriting w/o Tears
C-Alphabet/ word games
 T's Interests:
Astronomy
Currents
Guitar
Human Body
 
 
Math
 
Math: Miquon worksheet and/or game
 
Math: Miquon worksheet and/or game
 C's Interests:
Hands-on
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

And my personal theme for this year is (drumroll please)....

INSPIRE!

It refers to the type of motivation I'm going for.  I want my kids to be motivated to learn and explore on their own with my guidance, not by force or requirement.  Oh, there are things I will require of them, but I want to rein in that awful tendency to push them to complete tasks just so we can check something off a list.  I want them to see Sean and I doing good things and be inspired or just interested in doing them too. 

1 comment: