"The great objective of all our work is to build character and increase faith in the lives of those whom we serve."
Elder Spencer W. Kimball, 1948

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My Way

During the past year, I've been truly inspired by some amazing women, mostly from our homeschool group.  I want to preface that way because I'm going to confess that I need to part ways with some of their, um, ways.  See, they're just SO amazing--completely on a different level from myself--that though I would love to do what they do and allow my ideals and fanciful visions float me away into educational and family bliss, I'm just not there yet. 

There's a lot of talk about unschooling (or similar philosophies) and throwing caution to the wind and just going where your interests/your children's interests take you.  I think it actually takes a very responsible individual to be able to do that.  A person who is successful at that type of philosophy, in my opinion, is a person who has already learned good habits and doesn't need to focus on lower-level learning, like I do.  I'm more the type of mom who can't decide whether I want to wake up before my kids or not, so letting my kids follow interests based on my example sometimes is probably not a good idea.  My interests inevitably lead to a comfy couch and a book--not really the well-rounded approach.

 I realized that many of these moms who have a looser bent toward homeschooling have admitted to being quite the opposite in the beginning.  It makes me wonder if it's something necessary almost, like a step in progression.  As for myself, I have decided that I absolutely must do things my way this Fall.  It might look more scheduled and more like "school at home" than I prefer, but I need to build my foundation stronger before I will feel confident in a less stringent, more creative, more free atmosphere.  It's definitely what's best for my kids right now.  Trevor is especially a structure-loving boy, and I can almost feel the sigh of comfort coming from his soul when he feels the familiarity of "what comes next".  I think Abigail will be the same way...now what to do with our monkey in the middle...For now he's just content as long as he gets Mommy Conrad Time.  Today we made an art project together with shapes, glue, and stickers, and I couldn't be happier to see him having fun with it.

I'm drawing up some plans right now that include some goals for our 2013/2014 school year.  I'll include them when I'm finished, maybe in a few weeks.  It's going to be MY way; what's best for our family and everyone in it.

1 comment:

Katherine Bettilyon said...

Good thinking. I have also been wishing i could do homeschool a little less structured but i have kids how need structure. And as things are going right now I think the only thing we would do is history and art. The wonderful thing about homeschool is that the kids have more time in the afternoon to follow what ever interests they have. Good luck!