"The great objective of all our work is to build character and increase faith in the lives of those whom we serve."
Elder Spencer W. Kimball, 1948

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

He's a Reader!!

Trevor finished the last of his 100 reading lessons on Monday!!  I'm so proud of him.  He would have finished a month ago if it wasn't for me.  I've been having issues getting Abigail to fit into a routine, so even though Trevor has begged for lessons some days, I've had to put him off a lot.  Some of our lessons were done with me standing holding Abigail and playing cars with Conrad at the same time.  But we didn't stop completely.  When he finished and put the last sticker on his chart, I told him he is a reader (though I've been telling him this long before his last lesson).  He said, "No I'm not" (his usual answer).  I showed him his chart and told him he finished all the lessons and he slowly brightened and started saying, "I'm a reader!  I'm a reader!"

The plan now for reading is to have Trevor read at least one book/story on his own every day for practice, as well as do 2-4 phonics worksheets from the Modern Curriculum Press books (see side of blog), and I want to find a book like the 100 Lessons book that does phonics (like blends and specific phonics rules and exceptions).  We also practice writing a little, though I want to use a specific program.  I'm sill trying to decide between two different programs.  Right now Trevor writes a little each day about what we've done in school.  He has also been writing letters lately (a get well card for Grandpa Peine, a birthday card for Grandma Arndt, and unfortunately, two apology letters for teachers at church for misbehaving) so we've had lessons on how to address an envelope and where a stamp goes.

I'm feeling very sentimental right now as Trevor is beginning his journey of reading.  I hope it opens doors for him and allows him to be wise.  I hope he learns to love learning from books as much as I do!  He is amazing.  I have more insights about schooling with a newborn, but I will have to make time for that later.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Jennifer, this reminds me of when you were in kindergarten and the teacher had you write in a journal each day. At first it wasn't much but it was fun to see what you were writing by the end of the year.