"The great objective of all our work is to build character and increase faith in the lives of those whom we serve."
Elder Spencer W. Kimball, 1948

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Plan

I've been playing around with several avenues for homeschooling since Trevor was born.  I feel I'm really just making things up as I go and gleaning advice from friends and books as well.  It's nice to have the freedom to change things when I want, but I want to buckle down and get settled into a routine again (like we had before we moved to Minnesota). 

We've set a bit of a routine since we started reading lessons, so it shouldn't be too hard to go deeper.  We wake up, eat breakfast, clean up/do chores, get dressed/brush teeth, listen to Sean read scriptures (some days we go running before or after as a family), Conrad gets a lesson, Trevor gets a lesson, and then usually it's time for lunch.  If not, we read books or do a messy project until lunch.  After lunch and naps, I don't really have anything set in stone.  Mostly the boys get free play until dinner and free play or family time after dinner. 

So the plan is to slowly add subjects until next fall and hopefully by then it will be old news for us.  For next year, we're looking into Sonlight curriculum.  A few friends have been using it and I'm impressed with the layout and choice of literature.  I'm interested in a classical education and I've really enjoyed reading A Well Trained Mind this summer. 

So far that's the plan.  I don't want to get too rigid yet because I still think early childhood is a time for play and exploration and learning about the world and relationships more than any academic subject. 

2 comments:

Josh and Tiff said...

I am going to read A Well Trained Mind. I wish I had it together early on like you did, but I didn't make the choice to homeschool Benson until this last summer a couple months before school started. Hopefully Grant has a better chance.

Katherine said...

Jenn I don't seem to have your email. Could you send it to me at raggedykam@gmail.com? That would be great! I really like your Idea of a education log and might just copy you. It sounds like you are doing an excellent job! and learning important things while you go along. That is great1