"The great objective of all our work is to build character and increase faith in the lives of those whom we serve."
Elder Spencer W. Kimball, 1948

Monday, July 25, 2011

Today was a great day for learning. 

1.  We started the morning off outside.  I hung laundry on the line while the boys played, then we had apple slices for a snack, and Trevor started asking questions about plants.  So I ran inside and got a Childcraft book (we bought a used set at St. Vincent's in Wisconsin) about plants and turned to the part about flower parts.  We talked about pollination and flower parts.  We walked around the garden plots and looked at all the different flowers and talked about how each plant made seeds.  We ended by eating ourselves full of green beans.

2.  Trevor wanted his reading lesson outside (Lesson 7).  He was very distracted, but we got through it somehow.  Then Trevor got a special package in the mail later.  It was his Bob Books!  I ordered them last week and they arrived just in time.  The first book has all the sounds from lessons 1-7, so it really was perfect timing.  Trevor got to read his first book!  At bedtime he wanted to read it again.  He was so excited that we had him call Grandma Arndt and read a few pages to her.  She was excited for him, of course, which just added to his momentum and after hanging up and reading a few bedtime books together, Trevor wanted to do another lesson!  It went really well, and we're so proud of him for working so hard!
3. During church I often have to run out to the car for a snack (morning sickness).  One Sunday while in the car I put an April 2010 General Conference cd into the cd player.  I listened to Elder Neil L. Andersen's talk titled, "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus".  Lately I haven't been going in any order with our scripture reading with the boys, just reading stories I think they will be interested in.  For family scripture time, Sean has been reading the Book of Mormon to us.  As I listened to the talk, I felt impressed to start reading the New Testament with the boys.  It's amazing how the Lord knows what we all need.  Trevor kept asking me to read another "Jesus story".  I could almost hear him singing the primary song, "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus".  

Today after Conrad went down for a nap I read Trevor some books, and he chose to read the New Testament.  He wanted me to read the story about "how Jesus died with nails in his hands".  It was really good bonding time for us.  He was so sad after reading about Jesus dying, that of course I had to continue and read about how Jesus came alive again and will never die ever again.  He had lots of questions about death and resurrection.  He liked it so much that he asked for it again at bedtime.

No comments: